Friday, June 28, 2013

Do Not Sand Painted Floors!

Well, I've been remiss in keeping up with this blog like I had intended. At any rate, here's a thought to those of you whom refinish floors or are considering refinishing your own hardwood floors. Do not sand a painted floor! I've had a few requests over the past couple years to do an estimate on a floor that has been painted. I even ask if the floor is painted before I go do the estimate - especially if it seems like it's an old house that is or will become a rental. The customer/prospect might say that there's a little paint on the floor from over-spray. Okay, I can handle that I guess. I get to the house and the floors don't just have a little over spray from painting the walls. The boards are actually painted and no one knows how old the paint is, but the house is 50+ years old. Can anyone reading this say "lead abatement"? That's a big can of worms and I'm not going there. I advise them to "Cover it up with another floor and leave it alone." No sense in making life exponentially more difficult on themselves for the sake of saving a few bucks. Ray Ladouceur www.dogwoodtales.com Every project is a story unto itself - and then some. www.floorrefinishingcincinnati.com

No comments:

Post a Comment